-*- Sir Mordred The Traitor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [ 2002-08-26 15:32 ]:
> >Hey, if I can connect to postmaster I can DoS it quite easily, but
> flooding it
> >with connection requests.....
>
> Hm, that's true of course, but now i will do this with a couple of
> connections.
> Lets say, bot on a owned machine, connects to a database,
> send a crafted packet,
> postgresql will allocate a huge amount of memory, and will be
> happy to read anything it recvs from my bot.

Speaking of which.

If I understand correctly, a new backend is forked and the connection dispatched to
that specific backend, once access has been granted (with means of user/pass
authentication, ident or whatever).

Is there any check for connection to the postmaster that have not been dispatched to a
new backend after X bytes (or seconds?), to free resources (would that make any sense?
:)

And another (perhaps silly) thought: Currently, if the authentication process is
exploited, it would kill the postmaster, resulting in a total crash of the whole
database system.  Would it be beneficial to split the connection
handling/authorization process to a seperate process, and if that process dies, the
postmaster would simply start a new one, there for not affecting any other backends
that are running (for authorized users) ? Or am I way of track? :)

--
Regards,
Tolli

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster