Sean Chittenden <s...@chittenden.org> writes:
> I agree it's not ideal for some filesystems, but being overly protective
> doesn't buy us much either, because in some setups, it's entirely acceptable.

No, it isn't.  As several people have told you already, the idea of
letting a mount point be used directly as a data directory has been
suggested repeatedly, and rejected repeatedly, and this time is not
going to be any different.  (Although I agree with Kevin that it's
about time we documented why not to do this.)

There are a couple of reasons why it's not good practice:

* mount-point directories really ought to be owned by root, or at least
by some user with more privilege than a DB server ought to have

* without a sub-directory, there's no simple cross-check to enforce that
the mount has actually happened.  It's happened before that people have
had a server start up against a slow-to-mount NFS directory, and then
get completely confused when the mount did happen and the visible
database files got replaced.  (The really nasty variants of this require
a startup script that will try to initdb automatically if it doesn't see
a database there.)

That's just what I can remember off the top of my head with insufficient
caffeine.  If you check the archives for previous discussions you might
find some other good points.