On 02/24/2013 12:39 PM, Claudio Freire wrote:
On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 11:08 AM, Stephen Frost <sfr...@snowman.net> wrote:
* Heikki Linnakangas (hlinnakan...@vmware.com) wrote:
So if you want to be kind to readers, look at the patch and choose
the format depending on which one makes it look better. But there's
no need to make a point of it when someone posts in "wrong" format.
To be more precise- my main complaint about this is that this patch is
making changes to multi-line comments and to documentation, both of
which get very annoying to try and read in uniform diff format.
Patches that don't do one or the other of those are likely incomplete
anyway.

As another point, it's also the very first thing that we document in
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Reviewing_a_Patch to check for.

TBH, that wiki link seems to suggest that *having context* is the
point of the requirement (to be able to merge with fuzz).

Both unified and context formats have context.

No, you're missing the point. Some people find reading context diffs much easier than reading unified diffs. That's why context diffs are the project's stated preference.

cheers

andrew