On 3/4/13 2:11 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:
It's crunch time. Do you and Jeff believe this patch should be
committed to Postgres core?

I want to see a GUC to allow turning this off, to avoid the problem I saw where a non-critical header corruption problem can cause an entire page to be unreadable. A variation on that capable of turning this off altogether, as Craig suggested, is a good idea too.

Those are both simple fixes, and I would be pleased to see this committed at that point.

I'll write up a long discussion of filesystem trends and why I think this is more relevant than ever if that's the main objection now. There is no such thing as a stable release of btrfs, and no timetable for when there will be one. I could do some benchmarks of that but I didn't think they were very relevant. Who cares how fast something might run when it may not work correctly? btrfs might as well be /dev/null to me right now--sure it's fast, but maybe the data won't be there at all. How long has it taken the Linux kernel to reach the point it handles write barriers and fsync correctly? It does not give me a lot of confidence that now is the time they'll suddenly start executing on database filesystem mechanics perfectly.

--
Greg Smith   2ndQuadrant US    g...@2ndquadrant.com   Baltimore, MD