On 04/04/13 07:58, Kevin Grittner wrote:
Gavin Flower <gavinflo...@archidevsys.co.nz> wrote:

Anyhow, I think we should standardise on zero as the initial
index to be as consistent as practicable.
If you want to suggest a default of zero for the first subscript of
an array in SQL, please don't confuse the issue by using any form
of the word "standard" in that proposal.  There are ANSI and ISO
standards for SQL, and they require that the first element of an
array is one.  I'm OK with *extending* the standard by *allowing*
other values, but let's not flaunt the standard and break existing
code by changing the *default*.

--
Kevin Grittner
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company