On 04/15/2013 06:04 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:
On 15 April 2013 16:55, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Simon Riggs <si...@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
On 15 April 2013 16:24, David Fetter <da...@fetter.org> wrote:
Do you have numbers on this, or ways to gather same?  In other words,
how do we know what resources (time, CPU cycles, disk seeks, etc.) are
being consumed here?
The multi-insert optimisation for COPY is already there and works well
enough to have been committed.
You seem to not have answered the question.  Exactly what sort of
performance gain might be possible, bearing in mind that anything that
invokes a trigger (for instance) is unlikely to be amazingly fast
anyway?
Forgive me, I assumed the list would be familiar with the optimization
and so be excited by the need for this.

I will implement as a kluge, test and report the results.
Would just declaring nextval() to be a stable function be a good test ?

Hannu

case, so I'll measure that.