On 22.04.2013 18:44, Simon Riggs wrote:
On 22 April 2013 09:29, Heikki Linnakangas<hlinnakan...@vmware.com>  wrote:

Hmm. That requires write access to $DATADIR, so that's not quite the same
thing as the trigger_file recovery.conf option.

Well, you also (elsewhere) requested that we must keep recovery.conf
in $DATADIR, so it needs to be writable.

That's a slightly different requirement. $DATADIR must be writable by the process that restores the backup or puts the server into standby mode, while trigger_file needs to be writable by the process that triggers failover. Those are not necessarily the same thing. I'm thinking of a heartbeat process that triggers failover by creating a file on an NFS server or similar. Possibly the same location where the WAL archive is located. $DATADIR would be stored elsewhere.

- Heikki