On 08.04.2013 18:58, Jeff Bohmer wrote:

On Apr 6, 2013, at 1:24 PM, Jeff Janes<jeff.ja...@gmail.com>  wrote:

On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 1:24 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
<hlinnakan...@vmware.com>wrote:

Perhaps we should improve the documentation to make it more explicit that
backup_label must be included in the backup. The docs already say that,
though, so I suspect that people making this mistake have not read the docs
very carefully anyway.

I don't think the docs are very clear on that.  They say "This file will of
course be archived as a part of your backup dump file", but "will be" does
not imply "must be".  Elsewhere it emphasizes that the label you gave to
pg_start_backup is written into the file, but doesn't really say what the
file itself is there for.  To me it seems to imply that the file is there
for your convenience, to hold that label, and not as a critical part of the
system.

Patch attached, which I hope can be back-patched.  I'll also add it to
commitfest-Next.

I think this documentation update would be helpful.

Committed that.

- Heikki