On 05/08/2013 01:16 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

That would require the backend to buffer the entire query response,
which isn't a great idea.  I would expect that such an operation would
need to interleave CopyData to the backend with DataRow responses.  Such
a thing could possibly be built on COPY_BOTH mode, but it would be a lot
of work (at both ends) for extremely debatable value.

The general idea of COPY is to load data as fast as possible, so weighing
it down with processing options seems like a pretty dubious idea even if
the implementation were easy.

That was my reaction. I would look it this very skeptically.

cheers

andrew