Should it give up trying under some conditions, say there are more errors
than transactions?

I don't really see the point of that. I can't think of a scenario where you would get too many serialization errors to even finish the pgbench test.

My point is really to avoid in principle a potential infinite loop under option -t in these conditions, if all transactions are failing because of a table lock for instance. If pgbench is just killed, I'm not sure you get a report.

At any rate, as proposed, this would fail horribly if the very first transaction fails, or the second transaction fails twice, etc..

Yep. Or maybe some more options to control the expected behavior on transaction failures ? --stop-client-on-fail (current behavior), --keep-trying-indefinitely, --stop-client-after=<nfails>... or nothing if this is not a problem:-)

--
Fabien.