On 06/08/2013 07:36 AM, MauMau wrote:

1. If the machine or postgres crashes while archive_command is copying a
WAL file, later archive recovery fails.
This is because cp leaves a file of less than 16MB in archive area, and
postgres refuses to start when it finds such a small archive WAL file.
The solution, which IIRC Tomas san told me here, is to do like "cp %p
/archive/dir/%f.tmp && mv /archive/dir/%f.tmp /archive/dir/%f".

Well it seems to me that one of the problems here is we tell people to use copy. We should be telling people to use a command (or supply a command) that is smarter than that.

3. You cannot know the reason of archive_command failure (e.g. archive
area full) if you don't use PostgreSQL's server logging.
This is because archive_command failure is not logged in syslog/eventlog.

Wait, what? Is this true (someone else?)

JD