>     I found one bug in file src/backend/utils/adt/oracle_compat.c and there were
>your name, related with Multibyte enhancement, so i write to you.
>     Functions upper,lower and initcap doesn't work with utf-8 data which is not of
>Latin letters.At my work i do databases for Russian users and when i tried to use
>unicode encoding for database and Russsian alphabet than these functions didn't work.
>So i wrote some patches, because i don't think that problem is in that or other shell
>variable like LANG or LC_CTYPE. As i don't know any other
> languages except Russian and English, i wrote small test(test.tar.gz) only for
>them.Execute it befor and after patching and feel the difference:). And by the way,
>do encodings(and appropriative languages) EUC_JP,EUC_CN,EUC_KR and EUC_TW have
>logical operations upper,lower and initcap?
>                                               regards,Eugene.

For EUC_JP, there is no upper,lower and initcap. I'm not sure about
other languages.

>     P.S.It doesn't seem bad for me to use lib unicode instead of functions like
>mbtowc,wctomb from stdlib and towupper,towlower from wctype, but may be somebody will
>find decision based on them or other lib?

I'm not sure. What do you think, Peter or other guys who is familiar
with Unicode?

BTW, I don't like your patches. If there's no unicode.h, configure
aborts with:

configure: error: header file <unicode.h> is required for unicode support

which seems not acceptable to me. I suggest you #ifdef out the unicode
upper,lower and initcap support if libunicode and/or unicode.h are not
found in the system.
--
Tatsuo Ishii

(I have included patches for review purpose)

http://archives.postgresql.org