On 2013-06-11 19:01 CEST, Hannu Krosing wrote:
On 06/11/2013 05:27 PM, Merlin Moncure wrote:
On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 9:45 AM, Stephen Frost ... wrote:
* Merlin Moncure ... wrote:
I agree with all your comments pretty much down the line.  Need top
level CALL that supports parameterization and multiple sets that
utilizes background worker (we have example spi worker that gives some
hints about how pl/pgsql could be made to work).  Because it's top
level (can't even be inlined to CTE), we can access behaviors that are
not possible in current pl/pgsql, for example setting transaction
isolation in advance of snapshot and changing database connection
mid-procedure.
And this still has next-to-nothing to do with the specific proposal that
was put forward.

It's a complete feature but completely relevant to the discussion --
the behaviors have a lot of overlap and CALL is in the standard
whereas the ad hoc feature DO isn't.
Could you point to the ISO/ANSI SQL CALL definition ?

On the publicly available standards page of ISO:

http://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/index.html

searching in it for SQL shows link of "ISO/IEC 9075-1:2008":

http://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/c045498_ISO_IEC_9075-1_2008.zip

when you follow and go through:

http://standards.iso.org/ittf/licence.html

i.e. accept the granted license, you may receive a personal single copy non-distributable PDF version of

ISO/IEC 9075-1:2008, 3rd Edition, Information technology -- Database languages -- SQL -- Part 1: Framework (SQL/Framework), of COmmittee JTC1/SC32

There at least in section 5.3.4 you find the pointer, that among others, the terms CALL and RETURN are specified in ISO9075-2.

So that "points", but to follow to the end ... ;-)

but at least it is clear from this source, that CALL seems to be a statement in SQL to invoke a procedure or whatever name juggling suits.

HTH,
Stefan.