On 06/18/2013 02:25 AM, Markus Wanner wrote:

On 06/16/2013 06:02 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
Instead of pushing extra info to the logs I decided that we could
without giving away extra details per policy. I wrote the error message
in a way that tells the most obvious problems, without admitting to any
of them. Please see attached:

+1 for solving this with a bit of word-smithing.

However, the proposed wording doesn't sound like a full sentence to my
ears, because a password or username cannot fail per-se.

I believe it actually can. The error message that is returned for a bad password, bad user or expired password is all the same. Which is why I put the username in there.

How about:
"password authentication failed or account expired for user \"%s\""

It's a bit longer, but sounds more like a full sentence, no?

Yes but I don't think it is accurate, what about:

"Authentication failed or password has expired for user \"%s\""

Authentication failed covers any combination of a username/password being wrong and obviously password expired covers the other.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Regards

Markus Wanner