Jeff,

* Jeff Janes (jeff.ja...@gmail.com) wrote:
> I was going to add another item to make nodeHash.c use the new huge
> allocator, but after looking at it just now it was not clear to me that it
> even has such a limitation.  nbatch is limited by MaxAllocSize, but
> nbuckets doesn't seem to be.

nodeHash.c:ExecHashTableCreate() allocates ->buckets using:

palloc(nbuckets * sizeof(HashJoinTuple))

(where HashJoinTuple is actually just a pointer), and reallocates same
in ExecHashTableReset().  That limits the current implementation to only
about 134M buckets, no?

Now, what I was really suggesting wasn't so much changing those specific
calls; my point was really that there's a ton of stuff in the HashJoin
code that uses 32bit integers for things which, these days, might be too
small (nbuckets being one example, imv).  There's a lot of code there
though and you'd have to really consider which things make sense to have
as int64's.

        Thanks,

                Stephen