Peter Geoghegan <p...@heroku.com> writes:
> ... All the same, it seems like there is a
> case to be made for having this run automatically at build time, and
> having the build fail on the basis of there being a duplicate

This would require a rather higher standard of portability than
duplicate_oids has heretofore been held to.

> Sure, I ought to remember to check this anyway, but it seems
> preferable to make this process more mechanical. I can point to commit
> 55c1687a as a kind of precedent, where the process of running
> check_keywords.pl was made to run automatically any time gram.c is
> rebuilt.

Note that "any time gram.c is rebuilt" is not "every build".  In fact,
for non-developers (tarball consumers), it's not *any* build.

I'm not necessarily opposed to making this happen, but there's more
legwork involved than just adding a call of the existing script in some
random place in the makefiles.