* Andrew Dunstan wrote:

I'm toying with the idea of a check_upgrade mode for the buildfarm
client where it wouldn't do a git pull, but would report changes if the
build result was different from the previous result. You'd run this
immediately after pulling new changes into your OS. Other, brighter
ideas welcome.

Might it be possible for the buildfarm client to query the various tools (compiler, autotools, flex, bison, perl, shell, etc.) for their version numbers and report those too? If the config page said "since the last successful build, these commits have been added, and the compiler is now tomorrow's snapshot of gcc 4.8.4711", diagnosing a failed build could be easier.

This could be done either through the usual -V, --version flags or by asking the host's packaging system, although there are probably too many of the latter to support.

I would not want to have to implement this, but perhaps the client could also automatically drop back to the last known good commit if it gets a failed build immediately after a tool version change.

--
Christian