On 9/7/13 12:34 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
What I was thinking of was to keep track of the oldest xids on pages
that cannot be marked all visible. I haven't thought about the
statistics part much, but what if we binned the space between
[RecentGlobalXmin, ->nextXid) into 10 bins and counted the number of
pages falling into each bin. Then after the vacuum finished we could
compute how far RecentGlobalXmin would have to progress to make another
vacuum worthwile by counting the number of pages from the lowest bin
upwards and use the bin's upper limit as the triggering xid.

Now, we'd definitely need to amend that scheme by something that handles
pages that are newly written to, but it seems something like that
wouldn't be too hard to implement and would make autovacuum more useful.

If we're binning by XID though you're still dependent on scanning to build that
range. Anything that creates dead tuples will also be be problematic, because
it's going to unset VM bits on you, and you won't know if it's due to INSERTS
or dead tuples.

What if we maintained XID stats for ranges of pages in a separate fork? Call it
the XidStats fork. Presumably the interesting pieces would be min(xmin) and
max(xmax) for pages that aren't all visible. If we did that at a granularity
of, say, 1MB worth of pages[1] we're talking 8 bytes per MB, or 1 XidStats page
per GB of heap. (Worst case alignment bumps that up to 2 XidStats pages per GB
of heap.)

Having both min(xmin) and max(xmax) for a range of pages would allow for very
granular operation of vacuum. Instead of hitting every heap page that's not
all-visible, it would only hit those that are not visible and where min(xmin)
or max(xmax) were less than RecentGlobalXmin.

One concern is maintaining this data. A key point is that we don't have to
update it every time it changes; if the min/max are only off by a few hundred
XIDs there's no point to updating the XidStats page. We'd obviously need the
XidStats page to be read in, but even a 100GB heap would be either 100 or 200
XidStats pages.

[1]: There's a trade-off between how much space we 'waste' on XidStats pages
and how many heap pages we potentially have to scan in the range. We'd want to
see what this looked like in a real system. The thing that helps here is that
regardless of what the stats for a particular heap range are, you're not going
to scan any pages in that range that are already all-visible.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Data Architect                       j...@nasby.net