On 9/26/13 8:27 AM, Noah Misch wrote:
On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 12:19:51PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 7:44 AM, Andres Freund<and...@2ndquadrant.com>  wrote:
> >>Actually, I was wondering if we ought
> >>to have a directory under pgdata whose explicit charter it was to
> >>contain files that shouldn't be copied as part of a base backup.
> >>pg_do_not_back_this_up.
> >
> >Wondered exactly about that as soon as you've mentioned
> >pg_basebackup. pg_local/?
>
>That seems reasonable.  It's not totally transparent what that's
>supposed to mean, but it's fairly mnemonic once you know.  Other
>suggestions welcome, if anyone has ideas.
I like the concept and have no improvements on the name.

>Are there any other likely candidates for inclusion in that directory
>other than this stuff?
pg_xlog

Isn't it also pointless to backup temp objects as well as non-logged tables?

Or is the purpose of pg_local to be a home for things that MUST NOT be backed
up as opposed to items where backing them up is pointless?
--
Jim C. Nasby, Data Architect                       j...@nasby.net