On 10/07/2013 09:32 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
Todo:
* rename treat_as_catalog_table, after agreeing on the new name
* rename remaining timetravel function names
* restrict SuspendDecodingSnapshots usage to RelationInitPhysicalAddr,
   that ought to be enough.
* add InLogicalDecoding() function.
* throw away older data when reading xl_running_xacts records, to deal
   with immediate shutdowns/crashes

What is your current plan for decoding sequence updates? Is this something that you were going to hold-off on supporting till a future version? ( know this was discussed a while ago but I don't remember where it stands now)

From a Slony point of view this isn't a big deal, I can continue to capture sequence changes in sl_seqlog when I create each SYNC event and then just replicate the INSERT statements in sl_seqlog via logical decoding. I can see why someone building a replication system not based on the concept of a SYNC would have a harder time with this.

I am guessing we would want to pass sequence operations to the plugins as we encounter the WAL for them out-of-band of any transaction. This would mean that a set of operations like

begin;
insert into a (id) values(4);
insert into a (id) values(nextval('some_seq'));
commit

would be replayed on the replicas as
setval('some_seq',100);
begin;