On 11/10/13 17:33, Jaime Casanova wrote:
On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 5:32 PM, Mark Kirkwood
<mark.kirkw...@catalyst.net.nz> wrote:
Quietly replying to myself - looking at the code the sampler does 3000
random page reads...
FWIW, something that bothers me is that there is 3000 random page
reads... i mean, why 3000? how do you get that number as absolute for
good accuracy in every relation? why not a percentage, maybe an
argument to the function?

Right,

Looking at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sample_size_determination maybe it is not such a bad setting - tho 400 or 1000 seem to be good magic numbers too (if we are gonna punt on single number that is).

Perhaps it should reuse (some of) the code from acquire_sample_rows in src/commands/analyze.c (we can't use exactly the same logic, as we need to keep block data together in this case).

Cheers

Mark