On 05.11.2013 12:22, Oskari Saarenmaa wrote:
This makes it easy to see if the binaries were built from a real release
or if they were built from a custom git tree.

Hmm, that would mean that a build from "git checkout REL9_3_1" produces a different binary than one built from postgresql-9.3.1.tar.gz tarball.

I can see some value in that kind of information, ie. knowing what patches a binary was built with, but this would only solve the problem for git checkouts. Even for a git checkout, the binaries won't be automatically updated unless you run "configure" again, which makes it pretty unreliable.

-1 from me.

PS, the git command in the patch doesn't work with my version of git:

$ git describe --tags --long --dirty HEAD
fatal: --dirty is incompatible with committishes
$ git --version
git version 1.8.4.rc3

- Heikki