From: "Albe Laurenz" <laurenz.a...@wien.gv.at>
If I understood the discussion correctly the use case is that
there are advantages to having a database encoding different
from UTF-8, but you'd still want sume UTF-8 columns.

Wouldn't it be a better design to allow specifying the encoding
per column?  That would give you more flexibility.

Yes, you are right.  In the previous discussion:

- That would be nice if available, but it is hard to implement multiple encodings in one database. - Some people (I'm not sure many or few) are NCHAR/NVARCHAR in other DBMSs. To invite them to PostgreSQL, it's important to support national character feature syntactically and document it in the manual. This is the first step. - As the second step, we can implement multiple encodings in one database. According to the SQL standard, "NCHAR(n)" is equivalent to "CHAR(n) CHARACTER SET cs", where cs is an implementation-defined character set.

Regards
MauMau