Hello.

Examining pg_dump sources recently I've found that different exit
procedure used for the same situations.

A quick example from pg_dump.c:

        if (dataOnly && schemaOnly)
                exit_horribly(NULL, "options -s/--schema-only and
-a/--data-only cannot be used together\n");

        if (dataOnly && outputClean)
                exit_horribly(NULL, "options -c/--clean and -a/--data-only
cannot be used together\n");

        if (dump_inserts && oids)
        {
                write_msg(NULL, "options --inserts/--column-inserts and
-o/--oids cannot be used together\n");
                write_msg(NULL, "(The INSERT command cannot set OIDs.)\n");
                exit_nicely(1);
        }

I suppose this should be call to exit_nicely() for all possible cases.

The only need for calling exit_horribly() is when we are deep down in
the multithreaded code, AFAIK.

--
With best wishes,
 Pavel                          mailto:pa...@gf.microolap.com