On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 3:58 PM, Andres Freund <and...@2ndquadrant.com>wrote:

> On 2013-11-20 09:53:53 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > As a rule, you're not supposed to bother including the configure output
> > script in a submitted diff anyway.  Certainly any committer worth his
> > commit bit is going to ignore it and redo autoconf for himself.
>
> The committer maybe, but it's a PITA for reviewers on machines without
> the matching autoconf version around. Which at least currently
> frequently isn't packaged anymore...

That's going to be a PITA whichever way you go, though, because there is
not one standard about which autoconf version distros have. It's certainly
not all that have 2.69. I frequently do my builds on Ubuntu 12.04 for
example, which has 2.15,  2.59, 2.64 and 2.68 (don't ask me how they ended
up with that combination).

The point is - regardless of which version you chose, reviewers and
committers are going to have to deal with a local installation in many
cases anyway. So we might be better off just documenting that in a more
clear way.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/