On 12/03/2013 12:35 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Stefan Kaltenbrunner <ste...@kaltenbrunner.cc> writes:
If we care about our performance on various operating systems it is
_OUR_ responsibility to track that closely and automated and report back
and only if that feedback loop fails to work we are actually in a real
position to consider something as drastical as considering a platform
"undependable" or looking into alternatives (like directIO).

+1.  I fail to understand why anyone would think it's a good idea for us
to build our own I/O stack.  The resources that would be consumed by that
would probably be enough to sink the project, or at least ensure that we
made no progress on any other aspect of the system for a good long time.
(And I'm just talking development, never mind maintenance.)

Far better to invest some effort in providing decent feedback to the
platforms we depend on.

Although I am on the same page as Tom and Stefan here, I can certainly understand Josh's frustration. When you see things like the ext4 bugs or the recent long slew of performance related issues in relation to PDFlush, it is enough to make consultants very frustrated with the likes of Ubuntu and Debian. I would say RedHat too except they learned their lesson back in the kernel 2.4 days.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/  509-416-6579
High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC, @cmdpromptinc
For my dreams of your image that blossoms
   a rose in the deeps of my heart. - W.B. Yeats