From: "Tom Lane" <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us>
I think the reason why it was coded like that was that we hadn't written
postmaster_is_alive() yet, or maybe we had but didn't want to trust it.
However, with the coding you have here, we're fully exposed to any failure
modes postmaster_is_alive() may have; so there's not a lot of value in
accepting those and get_pgpid's failure modes too.

Thank you for reviewing the patch so quickly. You are right, I don't think get_pgpid() here is no longer necessary. If the pid changes in one second, i.e. the original postgres terminates and "pg_ctl start" starts another one, "pg_ctl stop" can terminate successfully because the original postgres it was waiting for actually terminated.

I'll submit the revised patch tomorrow.

Regards
MauMau