From: "Tom Lane" <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us>
No.  They are FATAL so far as the individual session is concerned.
Possibly some documentation effort is needed here, but I don't think
any change in the code behavior would be an improvement.

You are suggesting that we should add a note like "Don't worry about the following message. This is a result of normal connectivity checking", don't you?

FATAL:  the database system is starting up

But I doubt most users would recognize such notes. Anyway, lots of such messages certainly make monitoring and troubleshooting harder, because valuable messages are buried.

4. FATAL:  sorry, too many clients already
Report these as FATAL to the client because the client wants to know the
reason. But don't output them to server log because they are not necessary
for DBAs (4 is subtle.)

The notion that a DBA should not be allowed to find out how often #4 is
happening is insane.

I thought someone would point out so. You are right, #4 is a strong hint for the DBA about max_connection setting or connection pool configuration.

Regards
MauMau