On 26 Sep 2002 at 11:17, Mario Weilguni wrote:

> On 26 Sep 2002 at 14:05, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> > Some time back I posted a query to build a site with 150GB of database. In
> last
> > couple of weeks, lots of things were tested at my place and there are some
> > results and again some concerns.
>
> > 2) Creating index takes huge amount of time.
> > Load time: 14581 sec/~8600 rows persec/~ an MB of data per sec.
> > Create unique composite index on 2 char and a timestamp field:  25226 sec.
> > Database size on disk: 26GB
> > Select query: 1.5 sec. for approx. 150 rows.
>
> I never tried 150GB of data, but 10GB of data, and this worked fine for me.
> Maybe it will help if you post your table schema, including which indexes you
> use, and the average size of one tuple.

Well the test runs were for 10GB of data. Schema is attached. Read in fixed
fonts..Last nullable fields are dummies but may be used in fututre and varchars
are not acceptable(Not my requirement). Tuple size is around 100 bytes..

The index creation query was

CREATE INDEX index1 ON tablename (esn,min,datetime);

What if I put datetime ahead? It's likely the the datetime field will have high
degree of locality being log data..

Bye
 Shridhar

--
brain, v: [as in "to brain"]    To rebuke bluntly, but not pointedly; to dispel a
source  of error in an opponent.                -- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's

Field Name      Field Type      Nullable        Indexed
type            int             no              no
esn             char (10)       no              yes
min             char (10)       no              yes
datetime        timestamp       no              yes
opc0            char (3)        no              no
opc1            char (3)        no              no
opc2            char (3)        no              no
dpc0            char (3)        no              no
dpc1            char (3)        no              no
dpc2            char (3)        no              no
npa             char (3)        no              no
nxx             char (3)        no              no
rest            char (4)        no              no
field0          int             yes             no
field1          char (4)        yes             no
field2          int             yes             no
field3          char (4)        yes             no
field4          int             yes             no
field5          char (4)        yes             no
field6          int             yes             no
field7          char (4)        yes             no
field8          int             yes             no
field9          char (4)        yes             no

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster