If two transactions both read and write, I can easily reproduce the
following: "could not serialize access due to read/write dependencies among
transactions". However, the 9.3 documentation says that "When relying on
Serializable transactions to prevent anomalies, it is important that any
data read from a permanent user table not be considered valid until the
transaction which read it has successfully committed. This is true even for
read-only transactions".

I cannot have a read-only transaction fail because of serialization
anomalies. Can someone show me a working example please?