On 01/08/2014 07:29 AM, Greg Stark wrote:
On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 11:36 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
<hlinnakan...@vmware.com> wrote:
Hmm. The xlogdump indeed shows that the order of 'clean' and 'visible' is
incorrect, but I don't immediately see how that could cause the PANIC. Why
is the page uninitialized in the standby? If VACUUM is removing some dead
tuples from it, it certainly should exist and be correctly initialized.

Unless the vacuum subsequently truncated the file to be shorter and
the backup was taken after that?

In that case WAL replay should also see the truncation record before reaching consistency. We only PANIC on an uninitialized/missing page after reaching consistency, before that it's indeed normal if the file was later truncated or deleted.

- Heikki