On 01/10/2014 03:17 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

Any continuous replication should not be a SPOF. The current behavior
guarantees that a two node sync cluster is a SPOF. The proposed behavior
removes that.

Again, if that's your goal, then use async replication.

I think I have gone about this the wrong way. Async does not meet the technical or business requirements that I have. Sync does except that it increases the possibility of an outage. That is the requirement I am trying to address.

The purpose of sync rep is to know determinatively whether or not you
have lost data when disaster strikes.  If knowing for certain isn't
important to you, then use async.

PostgreSQL Sync replication increases the possibility of an outage. That is incorrect behavior.

I want sync because on the chance that the master goes down, I have as much data as possible to fail over to. However, I can't use sync because it increases the possibility that my business will not be able to function on the chance that the standby goes down.

What's a bad idea is adding an auto-degrade option without any tools to
manage and monitor it, which is what this patch does by my reading.  If

This we absolutely agree on.

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/  509-416-6579