On 1/13/14, 5:33 PM, Craig Ringer wrote:
So I guess the question is: Is it worth all that hassle to remove a
misfeature you have to go out of your way to use? Is support for non-1
lower bounds stopping us from doing something useful and important? Or
is it just an irritation that it exists?

It's not an irritation to -hackers, but it is an irritation for anyone that
cares about data quality, because you're forced to code all of your stuff to
always look at array_lower().

Actually, now that I think about it, if you want to be really safe you would
actually force your code to use a different lower bound so you're more likely
to discover code that's broken.

So it really is a big pain for users that know what's going on. And it will
become a big pain for users that don't know if they ever accidentally end up
with non-1 arrays. :)
--
Jim C. Nasby, Data Architect                       j...@nasby.net