* Craig Ringer (cr...@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> It also means that monitoring tools must run as superuser to see
> information they require, which to me is a total showstopper.

We've already got *far* too much of that going on for my taste.  I'd
love to see a comprehensive solution to this problem which allows
monitoring systems to run w/o superuser privileges.

> If you want control over visibility of application_name, it should be
> done with a column privilige granted to a system role, or something like
> that - so the ability to see it can be given to "public" on default
> (thus not breaking BC) and if it's revoked from "public", given to roles
> that need to see it.

I agree with this- individuals should be able to control access to this
information for their databases/clusters.

        Thanks,

                Stephen