On 01/28/2014 11:09 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
Andrew Dunstan <and...@dunslane.net> writes:
On 01/28/2014 10:50 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
+         </indexterm><indexterm>
+          <primary>jsonb_each</primary>
+       </para></entry>
This SGML nesting is odd and hard to read.  Please place opening tags in
separate lines (or at least not immediately following a closing tag).  I
am not sure whether the mentions of jsonb_each vs. json_each there are
correct or typos.  This also occurs in other places.
As I understand it, an <entry> tag can only contain block-level elements
like <para> if there are no inline elements (including white space).
Practically every existing use of <indexterm> is freer than this in its
use of whitespace.  It sounds to me like maybe you are trying to put the
<indexterm> inside something it shouldn't go inside of.

The problem is not the indexterm element, it's the space that might exist outside it. Are we using block level elements like <para> inside entry elements anywhere else? If not, then your observation is not relevant. If there are no block level elements then AIUI we can space things out how we like inside the entry element.

If you can show me how else legally to get a line break inside an entry element I'm very interested. I tried several things before I found this way of making it work.

cheers

andrew