On 01/30/2014 03:12 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Andrew Dunstan <and...@dunslane.net> writes:
On 12/22/2013 11:30 PM, Amit Kapila wrote:
-                 * backend start.
+                 * backend start. However for windows, we need to process
+                 * config file during backend start for non-default
parameters,
+                 * so we need to allow change of PGC_BACKEND during backend
+                 * startup.
                    */
-                if (IsUnderPostmaster)
+                if (IsUnderPostmaster && !IsInitProcessingMode())
                       return -1;
               }
I think this change looks OK.
The comment is pretty awful, since this is neither Windows-specific nor
a read of the config file.  Perhaps more like "However, in EXEC_BACKEND
builds we load nondefault settings from the CONFIG_EXEC_PARAMS file during
backend start.  In that situation we should accept PGC_SIGHUP
settings, so as to have the same value as if we'd forked from the
postmaster."

Also, I think that the extra test should only be made #ifdef EXEC_BACKEND,
so as to minimize the risk of breaking things.  Not that this isn't pretty
darn fragile anyway; I think testing IsInitProcessingMode here is a very
random way to detect this case.  I wonder if it'd be better to pass down
an explicit flag indicating that we're doing read_nondefault_variables().
If we don't do that, maybe an Assert(IsInitProcessingMode()) in
read_nondefault_variables() would be a good thing.

OK, I've added your comment to the commitfest item and marked it as "Waiting on Author".

cheers

andrew