Jerry Sievers wrote:

> The other thing that comes to mind, is that as opposed to
> postgresql.conf and the include scenario there... one can do show all or
> query from pg_stat_activity just to see what setting they ended up
> with.
>
> I'm not aware of any way to probe what hba rules are loaded at runtime
> and thus, debugging hba config changes not really possible.

Well, getting includes in postgresql.conf in an acceptable shape
required lots more work than just implementing the "include" directive;
one of the very first requirements was that the file path and line
number that each setting got its value from was available in
pg_settings.  I'm pretty sure that a patch that only added includes
without equivalent functionality would not get very far.