From: "Magnus Hagander" <mag...@hagander.net>
We already have two different versions of make_absolute_path() in the tree
- one in src/backend/utils/init/miscinit.c and one in
src/test/regress/pg_regress.c.

I don't think we need a third one.

If we put it in port/ like this patch done, then we should make the other
callers use it. We might need one for frontend and one for backend (I
haven't looked into that much detail), but definitely the one between
pg_regress and pg_ctl should be shared.

Agreed.  Sorry, I should have proposed the refactoring.

Rajeev, could you refactor the code so that there is only one make_absolute_path()? I think we can do like this:

1. Delete get_absolute_path() in src/port/path.c.
2. Delete make_absolute_path() in src/test/regress/pg_regress.c.
3. Move make_absolute_path() from src/backend/utils/init/miscinit.c to src/port/path.c, and delete the declaration in miscadmin.h. 4. Modify make_absolute_path() in path.c so that it can be used both in backend and frontend. That is, surround the error message output with #ifdef FRONTEND ... #else ... #endif. See some other source files in src/port.

Regards
MauMau