On 02/26/2014 02:17 AM, Christophe Pettus wrote:
On Feb 25, 2014, at 1:57 PM, Hannu Krosing <ha...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

It is not in any specs, but nevertheless all major imlementations do it and
some code depends on it.
I have no doubt that some code depends on it, but "all major implementations"
is too strong a statement.  BSON, in particular, does not have stable field order.

Not only is it "not in any specs", it's counter to the spec I have been following <https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4627.txt>, which quite categorically states that an object is an UNORDERED collection. Any application which relies on the ordering of object fields being preserved is broken IMNSHO, and I would not feel the least guilt about exposing their breakage.

cheers

andrew