On 03/07/2014 04:10 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Florian Weimer <fwei...@redhat.com> writes:
On 03/07/2014 03:57 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
It's not a reason not to do something about the much larger chance of
this happening in a direct child process, which certainly won't have a
matching PID.

Indeed.  Checking getppid() in addition might narrow things down further.

I don't think getppid adds much to the party.  In particular, what to
do if it returns 1?  You can't tell if you're an orphaned backend (in
which case you should still do normal shutdown)

Oh.  I didn't know that orphaned backends perform a normal shutdown.