On 03/10/2014 05:18 AM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 9:00 AM, Bruce Momjian <br...@momjian.us> wrote:
OK, it sounds like the adjustments are minimal, like not using the
high-order bit.
Attached patch is a refinement of the work of Oleg, Teodor and Andrew.
Revisions are mostly my own, although Andrew contributed too.

Changes include:

* Extensive relocation, and moderate restructuring of code. Many
comments added, while many existing comments were copy-edited. Nothing
remains in contrib. jsonb is a distinct, in-core type with no
user-visible relationship to hstore. There is no code dependency
between the two. The amount of code redundancy this turned out to
create (between jsonb and an unchanged hstore) is, in my estimation,
quite acceptable.

* B-Tree and hash operator classes for the core type are included. A
GiST operator class, and two GIN operator classes are also included.
Obviously this is where I spent most time by far.

* Everything else that was in hstore in the last revision (the
complement of the hstore2 opclasses) is removed entirely. The patch is
much smaller. If we just consider code (excluding tests and
documentation), the diffstat seems far more manageable:

Thanks for your work on this.

It's just occurred to me that we'll need to add hstore_to_jsonb functions and a cast to match the hstore_to_json functions and cast.

That should be fairly simple - I'll work on that. It need not hold up progress with what's in this patch.

cheers

andrew