On 03/24/2014 08:28 PM, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
The code would probably be pretty trivial, *if* we had consensus on
what the behavior ought to be.  I'm not sure if we do.  People who
only use Unicode would probably like it if BOMs were unconditionally
swallowed, whether or not psql thinks the client_encoding is UTF8.
(And I seem to recall somebody even proposing that finding a BOM
be cause to switch the client_encoding to UTF8.)
This is a bad idea. ISO 8859-1 uses 0xfe and 0xff (BOM) for some
characters.

Yeah, I think there is no consensus to do anything unless the client encoding is UTF8.

cheers

andrew