On 04/03/2014 07:11 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

More generally, I'm pretty sure that your proposal is already going to
involve some small growth of WAL records compared to today,

Quite possible.

but I think
that's probably all right; the benefits seem significant.

Yep.

OTOH, once we store the relfilenode+block in a common format, we can then try to optimize that format more heavily. Just as an example, omit the tablespace oid in the RelFileNode, when it's the default tablespace (with a flag bit indicating we did that). Or use a variable-length endoding for the block number, on the assumption that smaller numbers are more common. Probably not be worth the extra complexity, but we can easily experiment with that kind of stuff once we have the infrastructure in place.

- Heikki