If it's conditional I think "when it matches a guc" is too hard for users
to use.

I think "say nothing if oids are off and say something of their on" would
be fine. It would result in clutter for users which oids on by default but
that's a non default setting.

And the consequences of having oids on when they're intended to be off are
much more likely to be missed our forgotten and need a reminder. If they're
off when they need to be on you'll surely notice...

--
greg