On 16/04/14 15:10, Andres Freund wrote:

I think we really should bite the bullet and change this before 9.4
comes out. The current static bgworker facility has only been out there
for one release, and dynamic bgworkers aren't released yet at all. If we
wait with this for 9.5, we'll annoy many more people.

+1

On 2014-02-03 11:29:22 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> writes:
On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 10:20 AM, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
So
exit(0) - done, permanently
exit(1) - done until restart interval
exit(other) - crash
and there's no way to obtain the "restart immediately" behavior?

Also I think if we do it this way, the incompatibility impact is rather small for most existing bgworkers, like Robert I haven't seen anybody actually using the exit code 0 currently - I am sure somebody does, but it seems to be very small minority.