On 4/25/14, 12:58 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
Well, I've already had collisions with UUID-OSSP, in production, with
only around 20 billion values.  So clearly there aren't 122bits of true
randomness in OSSP.  I can't speak for other implementations because I
haven't tried them.

Or perhaps you should be buying lottery tickets? ;)

Can you write this up in a blog post? I've argued with people more than once about why
it's a bad idea to trust on "1 in a bazillion" odds to protect your data
(though, usually in the context of SHA1), and it'd be good to be able to point at a real
world example of this failing.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Data Architect                       j...@nasby.net