Tom Lane writes:

> > But alphabetical?  According to whose definition of the alphabet?
>
> It looks like NAME comparison uses strcmp (actually strncmp).  So it'll
> be numeric byte-code order.
>
> There's no particular reason we couldn't make that be strcoll instead,
> I suppose, except perhaps speed.

But how will this work when we have per-column/datum collation order?
And what about languages that don't have any useful collation order for
their alphabets (far east)?  ISTM that a globally viable feature of this
sort would have to sort by something numeric.

--
Peter Eisentraut   [EMAIL PROTECTED]