Thoughts? While we're at it, we'll probably want to refactor things so
that it's easy to support other SSL implementations too, like gnutls.

There was a patch set for this from Martijn van Oosterhout which was quite complete.

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20060504134807.gk4...@svana.org

I am interested in dropping the dependency on OpenSSL, if only to fix the situation with Debian, libreadline and OpenSSL[1].

Notes

1. They now compile against libedit and change to using libreadline at runtime. This does not work perfectly though since libreadline supports some features which libedit does not which can only be checked for at compile time.

Andreas