At 01:02 AM 23/10/2002 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

OK, you are saying if we don't have fseeko(), there is no reason to use
off_t, and we may as well use long.  What limitations does that impose,
and are the limitations clear to the user.
What I'm saying is that if we have not got fseeko then we should use any 'seek-class' function that returns a 64 bit value. We have already made the assumption that off_t is an integer; the same logic that came to that conclusion, applies just as validly to the other seek functions.

Secondly, if there is no 64 bit 'seek-class' function, then we should probably use a size_t, but a long would probably be fine too. I am not particularly attached to this part; long, int etc etc. Whatever is most likely to return an integer and work with whatever function we choose.

As to implications: assuming they are all integers (which as you know I don't like), we should have no problems.

If a system does not have any function to access 64 bit file offsets, then I'd say they are pretty unlikely to have files > 2GB.

Philip Warner | __---_____
Albatross Consulting Pty. Ltd. |----/ - \
(A.B.N. 75 008 659 498) | /(@) ______---_
Tel: (+61) 0500 83 82 81 | _________ \