On 18/06/14 19:26, Robert Haas wrote:
On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 12:54 PM, Andres Freund <and...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
I don't see how the proposed ability makes it more dangerous. It
*already* has the ability to reset the timelineid. That's the case where
users are much more likely to think about resetting it because that's
much more plausible than taking a unrelated cluster and resetting its
sysid, timeline and LSN.

All right, well, I've said my piece.  I don't have anything to add to
that that isn't sheer repetition.  My vote is to hold off on this
until we've talked about replication identifiers and other related
topics in more depth.  But if that position doesn't garner majority
support ... so be it!

I am not sure I get what does this have to do with replication identifiers. The patch has several use-cases, one of them has to do that you can know the future system id before you set it, which is useful for automating some things...